For anyone in the profession who needs a reminder, the Society for Human Resource Management has compiled a “Do you even work in HR if you have never…?” list. Among some of the interesting scenarios HR pros have had to confront:
- Telling an employee that being asked to work late does not amount to a “hostile work environment”
- Telling a worker they need to stop whistling Christmas songs in February
- Dealing with a vice president who caused the paper shredder to catch fire after his tie got stuck in it
- Telling an employee that he will not get a raise to keep up his $15-martini lifestyle
- Asking employees to stop buttering their bread or bagel before placing it in the toaster and causing yet another toaster fire
- Assigned to find and fire a worker who steals colleagues’ lunches
- Dealing with a new hire who got drunk drinking their own “orange juice” during orientation.